What You'll Find Here
The content of the public portion of HAT’s webpage is intended to help defense counsel become familiar with the essential principals involved in representing death sentenced clients in habeas corpus proceedings.
- A calendar describing Upcoming Seminars relating to death penalty defense.
- An Introduction to 8th Amendment Law and other constitutional provisions relevant to capital representation.
- Information about Supreme Court Developments including the actual petitions for writ of certiorari pending in pertinent cases, the briefs of the parties in cases in which certiorari has been granted but the case not decided, and synopses of recent decisions.
- The Federal Habeas Corpus Update, a bi-annual compilation of summaries of all pertinent federal court decisions interpreting the Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 amendments to the federal habeas corpus statutes, federal court decisions applying pre AEDPA provisions, and federal and state court decisions interpreting the 6th, 8th, and 14th amendments.
- Compilations of Helpful Cases on Constitutional Issues common in capital habeas corpus litigation. Included in this section are cases addressing state misconduct, the right to effective assistance of counsel, incompetence at the time of trial, during post-conviction proceedings or at the time of scheduled execution, and the right to unbiased and untainted jurors.
- Latest News summarizes recent death penalty decisions, as well as developments of note to capital litigators such as clemency rulings, Supreme Court actions, etc.
- The names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of People to Help You with your habeas case. A broad range of individuals and organizations throughout the country are available to offer you answers to you questions, recommendations concerning other resources, and plenty of good advice.
- Links to sites on the World Wide Web that are of interest to the habeas practitioner.